2 dried Chinese mushrooms
400g raw prawns
3 tbsp oil
5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
½ cup (125g) drained, canned bamboo shoots, roughly chopped
6 spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp water
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
finely sliced spring onion, for garnish
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes or until softened; drain and slice finely, discarding the hard stem.
- Peel and devein the prawns; roughly chop the meat.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok and stir-fry the ginger and prawn meat over very high heat for 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the bamboo shoots, spring onion and mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and wipe the wok clean with paper towels.
- Beat the eggs, water, salt and pepper in a bowl until foamy. Add the remaining oil to the wok, swirling it around to coat the base and sides. Heat the wok until it is extremely hot and the oil is slightly smoking. Give the egg mixture a quick whisk again and pour it into the very hot wok, swirling the wok a little so the egg mixture coats the side to ½cm thickness. Cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon to drain away any juices, carefully and quickly spoon the prawn and bamboo shoot mixture over the omelette. Gently lift the edge of the omelette with a spatula and tilt the wok so some of the uncooked egg from the centre runs underneath. Repeat this at a couple of different places around the omelette. Cook for about 2 minutes until the base is a crisp brown and has set. Divide the omelette into 4 or 5 sections, cutting it with the spatula, and turn each section over to cook the other side. When each section is lightly set underneath, transfer it to a platter, arranging the slices as they were in the wok.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and rice wine to the wok. Mix the cornflour and water and add to the wok, stirring constantly until the sauce boils and thickens slightly. Spoon over the omelette, garnish with spring onion and serve.
Nutrition per Serve:
Dietary Fibre 1g
1415 kJ (335cal)