1 (1.75kg) chicken
6 cups water
salt to taste
600g fresh yellow noodles
300g bean sprouts, tails removed
Grind into a fine paste:
1½ tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 stalk lemon grass, sliced
1 thick slice lengkuas
1 tsp white peppercorns
10 shallots, cut into fine slices and fry till golden brown
spring onions and celery, finely chopped
potato cutlets, fried
Chilli Padi Sauce:
¼ cup birds-eye chilli, wash and remove stalks; grind fine and pour some dark soya sauce over it.
- Put whole chicken, ground paste, water and salt in a large pot. Bring to the boil. When boiling, remove chicken and keep stock aside to use as soup for the Mee Soto.
- Put the chicken on a tray and roast for about 20-30 minutes at 190°C (375°F) until light brown. Shred chicken when cool.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. When water is actively boiling, put in noodles and bring back to the boil. Continue boiling till noodles are cooked, then remove noodles.
- In the same water, scald the bean sprouts.
- To serve: Put the noodles in a dish, sprinkle bean sprouts and shredded chicken over it then add soup and garnishing. Serve with Chilli Padi Sauce.